Linda G. Hill

Life in progress

Sparks Flew (or How Hewlett Packard Almost Burned My House Down)

30 Comments

It’s the second time it has happened now, but I do believe this time was scarier.

Last evening I was sitting down for dinner when Alex started yelling for me. He was in the living room with his laptop–being that he’s Deaf, he just yells when he wants something, and to me it seemed his normal “somethin’s bugging me mom” yell so I took my time and finished my mouthful of food before I got up.

I got into the living room and gestured “what do you want” and he indicated there was something wrong with the computer. Fine… I sauntered over to the couch and found him wiggling the power cord where it plugs into the laptop. The screen was dim – it was obviously running on its battery even though it appeared to be plugged in. So I followed the line down first to the power box or whatever you call it in the middle of the power cord. It was fine. So I got up to check to make sure it was plugged into the wall. It was. Complete with fireworks… COMING OUT OF THE SOCKET!!!

I grabbed the cord and yanked it out of the wall – thankfully there’s no damage to the house, nor to the laptop.

So today I went on to HP’s website – turns out there’s a worldwide recall on a power cord that’s meant for my computer but the model numbers don’t match. Instead of being able to just order a replacement, I spent the better part of the morning (okay, maybe an hour, but it was the better part of MY morning) on the phone with HP. They’re going to FedEx a new power cord to my house for free.

Least they could do I think, since had I ignored my Deaf son for a few more minutes I MIGHT NOT HAVE A HOUSE!!!!

As I said, this is the second time this has happened to me with HP laptop power cords. For God’s sake, if you have an HP laptop, check and see if your power cord has been recalled. And unplug it before you go out or to bed!

Author: LindaGHill

There's a writer in here, clawing her way out.

30 thoughts on “Sparks Flew (or How Hewlett Packard Almost Burned My House Down)

  1. Wow, that’s so scary!!! I’m glad everything is ok. Scary how much stuff I leave plugged in and don’t think about it…I am thinking about it now!

    Like

    • I know, right? I’m seriously thinking about buying a bunch of surge protectors that switch off so I don’t have to spend an hour every morning plugging everything back in. 😛

      Like

  2. Yikes! Just when you get a bit blase about answering one of the many summonses of the young there is this! Glad all is well! (And am off to check my power cords!)

    Like

  3. Wow, thanks for the warning! I have an ASUS that just now decided to go on the blink (at least it didn’t start sparking anywhere, whew).

    Like

  4. Unplug!! Yes… wise words Linda.. Learnt a lesson a few years back

    Like

  5. I am always apprehensive of leaving any electronics plugged in , especially my laptops and mobile phones, when I am going out or sleeping. Especially since I can’t smell well, my house would be half burnt even before I can realize what actually happened.

    Like

  6. AH! Thank goodness I used a Mac cord for the HP machine…before the HP machine died, and I use Dell now.

    Like

  7. Wow, thanks for the warning. I’ll think twice before I buy HP products.

    Like

  8. Wow. I’ve never heard of that happening. Good that you guys were there.

    Like

  9. Good catch Linda. Yikes! I leave my laptop pugged in all the time (Dell) – I’m going to have to rethink that. thanks!

    Like

  10. Even after you get the new cord, I would unplug it when not in use…just in case.

    Like

  11. I’m glad you all are safe! And you have some of *the* best titles, Linda. I wrote more about how you inspire me here https://familyanswersfast.wordpress.com/2015/03/07/inspiring-friends-plus-a-tip-on-how-to-delegate-blog-award/ Just super glad to know you and Alex. Thank you 😀

    Like

  12. Glad you are all safe ! Thanks for the heads up!

    Like

  13. Yikes!! That’s terrifying!! So glad you were able to catch it in time. Whew! And yay for a new power cable.

    Like

  14. Thank God you didn’t get burned – or electrocuted! Be careful with those faulty power cords.

    Like

  15. OMG. I am a Mac girl myself. Sometimes I use my sister’s Lenovo HP but her bf has an HP. I told my sister about that so thanks! 🙂

    Like

  16. God, that is very scary. Thank goodness your son noticed.

    Liked by 1 person

    • That’s the thing – if he’d seen the sparks he’d have screamed his head off and I’d have gone in there faster. All he was complaining about was the lack of power. O_o It really IS scary what could have happened!

      Liked by 1 person

  17. Ooo, glad you caught that! Good PSA!

    Liked by 1 person

  18. Time to switch to a Mac. 😛

    Like

Don't hesitate - jump right in!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s