(FICTION) (Thanks to Anita http://anitashope.wordpress.com/, Kim http://inkonapage.com/, and Cath http://cathdeancom.wordpress.com/ for their prompts. I’m running out of time, so I’m combining the suggestions.)
Brayden knew, deep down inside his old fisherman’s heart, that there was a storm brewing. But the forecast was clear, and he needed to pay off a debt or get his knees broken.
So he went out on his crab ship, though all the other boats on the pier were locked up and deserted for the night.
An hour out to sea, Brayden started to think he’d been crazy to think there’d be a storm. He’d never seen a sea so calm. But the whispering of a wind began at midnight, and by twelve-fifteen, the sea churned like a water trough in the back of a pickup truck on a washboarded dirt road. Try as he might, he couldn’t keep his vessel straight. Tossed from port to starboard and back again, he wondered if he should have just taken the broken knees, for he was sure to end up with a few broken bones and only half his usual catch anyhow.
The lightning crashed around his ship as he tied himself at the wheel, and just as he thought that maybe he’d get out of it alive, a giant wave hit the boat. The last thing Brayden saw before he blacked out was the hand of the devil come to scoop him and his boat from the sea.
(To be continued.)
(The prompts were; Anita’s: How about Dr. Sams or nurse Sams where they have finally got a vaccine for Covid at their hospital but they don’t want anyone getting well so they contaminate it; Cath’s: Caroline is walking her doggo in the woods as usual when doggo trots back to her with something muddy but glittering in her mouth. What if it’s a lost treasure?; and Kim’s: How about Brayden for the name, on a crab ship as the setting, and what if a freak storm sent them into another dimension?)
Here are the JusJoJan Rules:
1. Just Jot It January starts January 1st, but it’s never too late to join in! Here, we run on the honour system; the “jot it” part of JusJoJan means that anything you jot down, anywhere (it doesn’t have to be a post, it can even be a grocery list), counts as a “jot.” If it makes it to your blog that day, great! If it waits a week to get from a sticky note to your screen, no problem!
2. I’ll post prompts at 2am my time (GMT -5). The prompt will be the word in quotation marks in the title of my 2am post. You don’t have to follow the prompt every day, but that will be where you leave your link for others to see. You’ll get a prompt for every day except Wednesday, when the prompt is simply my One-Liner Wednesday and on Saturday, when your prompt will be the Friday Reminder and Prompt for #SoCS, which will appear at about 9:30am Friday. Each prompt post will include the rules.
3. Please ping back or link to the daily prompt. To ping back, just copy the URL from the daily prompt post, and paste it anywhere in your post. Check to make sure your link shows up where you want it to, and go back occasionally to see other bloggers’ entries – the more you visit others, the more they’ll visit you! Note: A) The newest pingbacks will be at the top of the comments section. B) Ping backs only work if you’re blogging on WordPress. Everyone else must paste a link manually.
4. Tag your post JusJoJan and/or #JusJoJan.
5. Write anything! Any length will do! It can even be a photo or a drawing – you’re going to title it, right? There’s your jot!
6. If your post is NSFW, do not ping back. Please leave your link in the comments with a warning.
7. If you’d like to, use the JusJoJan badge so that others can find your post more easily.
8. Have fun!