(FICTION) (Thanks to Carol Anne at http://therapybits.wordpress.com/ and Dan at . http://nofacilities.wordpress.com/ for the idea for the story.)
Carol Anne took one last glance at the city walls and headed for home. The sky, heavy with snow clouds, weighed upon her shoulders as she trudged down the deserted highway. But nothing weighed more heavily on her mind than the ruined city. Pushing the button had been a last resort, inevitable in the end.
It took her an hour, three blisters, and two fingers numb with the cold to reach the dirt road that ended in the dark forest that surrounded her home. Fresh snow blanketed the ground where the trees were thinner, and she wondered if she’d find anything to eat in the cupboard.
Thank goodness the light is on, she thought as the cabin came into sight. Someone was home. She wasn’t the last person left on earth after all.
But they’d have to fight over whatever food was left in the cupboard, if there was anything at all. As a last resort, there was always the button.
(Carol Anne’s prompt was “Carol anne is the name, what if there was a big snow storm?” and Dan’s prompt was “I’ll pass on the name, but I’m picturing a dirt road ending in a dark forest.”)
Here are the JusJoJan Rules:
1. Just Jot It January starts January 1st, but it’s never too late to join in! Here, we run on the honour system; the “jot it” part of JusJoJan means that anything you jot down, anywhere (it doesn’t have to be a post, it can even be a grocery list), counts as a “jot.” If it makes it to your blog that day, great! If it waits a week to get from a sticky note to your screen, no problem!
2. I’ll post prompts at 2am my time (GMT -5). The prompt will be the word in quotation marks in the title of my 2am post. You don’t have to follow the prompt every day, but that will be where you leave your link for others to see. You’ll get a prompt for every day except Wednesday, when the prompt is simply my One-Liner Wednesday and on Saturday, when your prompt will be the Friday Reminder and Prompt for #SoCS, which will appear at about 9:30am Friday. Each prompt post will include the rules.
3. Please ping back or link to the daily prompt. To ping back, just copy the URL from the daily prompt post, and paste it anywhere in your post. Check to make sure your link shows up where you want it to, and go back occasionally to see other bloggers’ entries – the more you visit others, the more they’ll visit you! Note: A) The newest pingbacks will be at the top of the comments section. B) Ping backs only work if you’re blogging on WordPress. Everyone else must paste a link manually.
4. Tag your post JusJoJan and/or #JusJoJan.
5. Write anything! Any length will do! It can even be a photo or a drawing – you’re going to title it, right? There’s your jot!
6. If your post is NSFW, do not ping back. Please leave your link in the comments with a warning.
7. If you’d like to, use the JusJoJan badge so that others can find your post more easily.
8. Have fun!
January 24, 2021 at 1:10 pm
I loved your story linda! Cool to see my name featured! xo
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: #JusJoJan prompt the 19th – “City” – Tessa Dean – Author
Pingback: jusjojan: the alehouse – Lorraine's frilly freudian slip
Pingback: Lorraine's frilly freudian slip
Pingback: #JusJoJan prompt the 19th – “City” – Ladyleemanila
Pingback: Just Jot It January–City | Darswords
Pingback: In This World and That | revivedwriter
Pingback: Bright Lights, Big City – Don't Forget the Half
Pingback: Jujojan 19 – The wrong side of the bed – The Bag Lady
Pingback: #JusJoJan “City” ~ 1/19/21 – J-Dubs Grin and Bear It
Pingback: In the City | Coffee in the Rain
Pingback: Cities I’ve Been To #jusjojan – The Sound of One Hand Typing
Pingback: #JusJoJan 19th – county life for me – cathdean.com
Pingback: Be Happy Live Longer – A Unique Title For Me
Pingback: #JusJoJan prompt the 19th – “City” | willowdot21
January 19, 2021 at 10:15 am
Intriguing story! I would love to read more!
Pingback: Good News Tuesday for Jan. 19, 2021: Germany’s Renewable Energy Success, City’s De-escalation Training Pays Off, US Capitol Clean UPs, and High School Senior Opens Email at Mom’s Grave | Anything is Possible!
January 19, 2021 at 10:02 am
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: #JusJoJan prompt the 19th – “City” – theindieshe
Pingback: JusJoJan January 19 2021 – City – Keep it alive
Pingback: Missing the City – No Facilities
January 19, 2021 at 8:28 am
There are times you might wonder if you are among the lucky ones?
Nice job, Linda. Thanks for using my prompt.
LikeLiked by 2 people
Pingback: City Cat: JusJoJan prompt Jan 19 2021 – Art Mater – Dreams of Dreamers & etc
January 19, 2021 at 3:15 am
Aha! Very interesting! 💜