(FICTION) (This is Part 2. Part 1 of this story can be found here.)
When the Smith family—Mr. & Mrs. Smith Sr., Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and little Bobby and Susie Smith—moved into their dream home in the prettiest part of town, they began renovations immediately. Bobby and Susie wanted a pool, so Mr. Smith Sr. splurged and paid for it. They all wanted a fire pit for the fall so they could sit around it on weekends and sing Kumbaya.
During the course of their upgrades, the Smiths met and made friends with the neighbors, all but the lady who lived alone next door. They were told to stay away from the woman because, it was rumored, she was a witch. But the Smiths, being a practical family, put it down to superstition and resolved to knock at her door at Christmas with an upbeat, friendly song.
They were quite delighted when, right in the middle of Jingle Bells, the lady opened her creaky front door and handed them all a steaming cup of hot chocolate. She bid them cheers but when they all took a sip, she shut the door, leaving them standing outside with her fine china cups.
“That was odd,” Mr. Smith commented.
“Indeed it was,” Mr. Smith Sr. replied.
“Do you think we should build her a snowman?” asked little Bobby Smith.
“I think that’s a wonderful idea,” exclaimed Mrs. Smith, always the enthusiastic one.
So the six assorted Smiths drank their hot chocolate, placed the cups gently on a table beside the door, and made their way to their neighbor’s side yard. And there they stayed.
(To be continued.)
Here are the JusJoJan Rules:
1. Just Jot It January starts January 1st, but it’s never too late to join in! Here, we run on the honour system; the “jot it” part of JusJoJan means that anything you jot down, anywhere (it doesn’t have to be a post, it can even be a grocery list), counts as a “jot.” If it makes it to your blog that day, great! If it waits a week to get from a sticky note to your screen, no problem!
2. I’ll post prompts at 2am my time (GMT -5). The prompt will be the word in quotation marks in the title of my 2am post. You don’t have to follow the prompt every day, but that will be where you leave your link for others to see. You’ll get a prompt for every day except Wednesday, when the prompt is simply my One-Liner Wednesday and on Saturday, when your prompt will be the Friday Reminder and Prompt for #SoCS, which will appear at about 9:30am Friday. Each prompt post will include the rules.
3. Please ping back or link to the daily prompt. To ping back, just copy the URL from the daily prompt post, and paste it anywhere in your post. Check to make sure your link shows up where you want it to, and go back occasionally to see other bloggers’ entries – the more you visit others, the more they’ll visit you! Note: A) The newest pingbacks will be at the top of the comments section. B) Ping backs only work if you’re blogging on WordPress. Everyone else must paste a link manually.
4. Tag your post JusJoJan and/or #JusJoJan.
5. Write anything! Any length will do! It can even be a photo or a drawing – you’re going to title it, right? There’s your jot!
6. If your post is NSFW, do not ping back. Please leave your link in the comments with a warning.
7. If you’d like to, use the JusJoJan badge so that others can find your post more easily.
8. Have fun!