(FICTION) (This is Part 3. Part 1 of this story can be found here, and Part 2 can be found here.)
“Mom?” little Susie Smith said out of the corner of her stick mouth.
“What’s going to happen when we melt?”
It was an excellent question, Mrs. Smith thought. But she had no idea what the answer might be. All she knew was that her bottom ball was getting tired, and she wanted to lay down and go to sleep for a while. She had a headache because she’d missed her morning coffee.
“I suppose we’ll have to wait until the lady comes out and ask her,” Mrs. Smith told her daughter. Fortunately, the didn’t have to wait long.
When they heard the lock in the front door turn, Mr. Smith Sr. said, using the middle button of his button mouth, “Let me do the talking.”
Mrs. Smith had her misgivings—her father-in-law could be abrasive when he was angry, but in the absence of any comment by her husband, she said nothing. It wasn’t until the lady of the house came out in a woolen coat, furry hat, and ankle boots that Mrs. Smith thought to wonder whether her husband had a mouth at all. She couldn’t turn around far enough to look.
“What have we here?” the lady cackled, facing them with her hands on her hips.
“What you have,” Mr. Smith Sr. said, “is a sextuplet of disgruntled snowmen. And I demand you change us back so we can go home.”
The lady dropped her hands from her hips and stepped back. Her mouth formed a perfect “o” before she exclaimed, “You can talk?”
“Yes!” Mr. Smith Sr. yelled. “And we demand—”
The lady reached out and removed the middle button from Mr. Smith Sr.’s mouth, leaving him to angrily, but now quietly, lisp something out of his right two buttons. Mrs. Smith thought she heard a swear word and hoped the children hadn’t been able to hear.
“That’s better,” the lady said with a nod of satisfaction. “Anyone else have anything to say?”
“Could you read us a story?” little Susie Smith asked.
The lady snorted and without another word, went back into the house.
(To be continued.)
Here are the JusJoJan Rules:
1. Just Jot It January starts January 1st, but it’s never too late to join in! Here, we run on the honour system; the “jot it” part of JusJoJan means that anything you jot down, anywhere (it doesn’t have to be a post, it can even be a grocery list), counts as a “jot.” If it makes it to your blog that day, great! If it waits a week to get from a sticky note to your screen, no problem!
2. I’ll post prompts at 2am my time (GMT -5). The prompt will be the word in quotation marks in the title of my 2am post. You don’t have to follow the prompt every day, but that will be where you leave your link for others to see. You’ll get a prompt for every day except Wednesday, when the prompt is simply my One-Liner Wednesday and on Saturday, when your prompt will be the Friday Reminder and Prompt for #SoCS, which will appear at about 9:30am Friday. Each prompt post will include the rules.
3. Please ping back or link to the daily prompt. To ping back, just copy the URL from the daily prompt post, and paste it anywhere in your post. Check to make sure your link shows up where you want it to, and go back occasionally to see other bloggers’ entries – the more you visit others, the more they’ll visit you! Note: A) The newest pingbacks will be at the top of the comments section. B) Ping backs only work if you’re blogging on WordPress. Everyone else must paste a link manually.
4. Tag your post JusJoJan and/or #JusJoJan.
5. Write anything! Any length will do! It can even be a photo or a drawing – you’re going to title it, right? There’s your jot!
6. If your post is NSFW, do not ping back. Please leave your link in the comments with a warning.
7. If you’d like to, use the JusJoJan badge so that others can find your post more easily.
8. Have fun!
Pingback: #JusJoJan prompt the 18th – “Wish” |
January 17, 2021 at 10:49 am
Wooo…. I’m getting disturbed. Wouldn’t even read the snowchildren a story!
January 17, 2021 at 9:10 pm
She’s a really grumpy witch!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: #JusJoJan prompt the 17th – “Check!” |
Pingback: jusjojan tales from the alehouse: “veil of secrecy” – Lorraine's frilly freudian slip
Pingback: jusjojan tales from the alehouse: – Lorraine's frilly freudian slip
Pingback: First thing I notice about Scrump is her button eyes – Art Mater – Dreams of Dreamers & etc
Pingback: #JusJoJan prompt the 15th – “Button” – Tessa Dean – Author
January 16, 2021 at 2:13 am
Oh, I nearly laughed out loud at the center and right button talking! So cute!
Pingback: Just Jot It January–Button | Darswords
Pingback: #JusJoJan prompt the 15th – “Button” – Ladyleemanila
January 15, 2021 at 9:58 pm
Somebody better watch out for Mrs. Karma.
Pingback: Why????? | revivedwriter
Pingback: #JusJoJan ~ 1/15/21 – J-Dubs Grin and Bear It
Pingback: Something NOT News! – Don't Forget the Half
Pingback: A Hot Button – This, That, and The Other
Pingback: Buttons, Buttons…. #JusJoJan – The Sound of One Hand Typing
Pingback: Dreadful Beauty – Hot Dogs and Marmalade
Pingback: Just Jot It: “Button” – Fallon Brown
Pingback: Jujojan 15 – The Bag Lady
Pingback: Feelings From My Eleven Year Old Self | Anything is Possible!
Pingback: Tripping on Peyote – A Unique Title For Me
Pingback: #JusJoJan 15th – If only we had one of these… – cathdean.com
Pingback: #JusJoJan prompt the 15th – “Button” | willowdot21
January 15, 2021 at 9:15 am
Awesome story Linda! ❤ ❤
January 15, 2021 at 10:20 am
Thanks, Carol Anne! ❤
Pingback: #Jusjojan-Button – Therapy Bits
Pingback: #JusJoJan prompt the 15th – “Button” – theindieshe
Pingback: JusJoJan January 15 2021 – Button – Keep it alive
January 15, 2021 at 8:36 am
What a miserable old bat! 😜😜
January 15, 2021 at 10:20 am
Haha! We’ll see!
Pingback: Friday Fun – #JusJoJan – No Facilities
January 15, 2021 at 7:26 am
Oh my, Linda. That was good. I would love to be able to remove a few buttons 😏
January 15, 2021 at 7:34 am
Haha! Me too! Thanks, Dan. 😀
LikeLiked by 1 person
January 15, 2021 at 5:52 am
Pingback: #Jus Jo Jan Prompt The 15th—Button – Paperkutzs
Pingback: Tent Dresses | Coffee in the Rain